This breakfast plate is loaded with silky tofu scramble, potato hash, roasted cherry tomatoes, creamy avocado, sautéed garlic mushrooms and baby spinach. It’s the ultimate vegan big breakfast!
I charred some cherry tomatoes under a hot grill until they split open and became jammy and delicious (beware as they stay dangerously hot for ages!!). I wilted some spinach that wasn’t fresh enough to put in a salad anymore and finally made vegan scrambled eggs from some silken tofu, flavoured with aromatics and magical black salt, which due to its high sulphur content, makes tofu taste like eggs.
Is so filling, full of contrasting textures and flavours and super quick to put together. It will make an awesome savoury breakfast or brunch.
- olive oil
- a bunch of cherry tomatoes on the vine
- 1 small potato
- 1/4 yellow onion
- salt to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 100 g baby spinach
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 300 silken firm tofu
- ¼ tsp turmeric, adjust to taste
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ ripe avocado, cut in half
- sesame seeds for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Parboil potato for 5 minutes. Drain and let cool completely.
- Grate potato using a box grater and finely slice onion.
- Mix together potato, onion, salt and pepper.
- Lightly oil a baking tray. Take a spoonful of potato mixture and shape it into a circle on the baking tray. Press down gently to flatten but don’t compact it too much. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Spray the potato hash lightly with cooking spray and bake for 20 minutes, flip, then bake for 10 more minutes. – Set a side
- Brush tomatoes with a little oil (keeping them on the vine if you can) and place them on a small baking tray. Stick them under a grill / broiler for 5-10 minutes, until their skins burst and the tops char a little. Season and set aside.
- Place spinach on another pan with a splash of water. Allow the spinach to wilt using gentle heat. Move it around the pan with a pair of tongs. Season and lift wilted spinach out of the pan, draining any excess water away.
- Heat up a tablespoon of oil in a pan (I reused the one I used to wilt the spinach) and fry diced shallot and garlic on a very gentle heat.
- Once shallot is translucent and garlic fragrant (but not browned), add the drained tofu. Smash it a little with the back of a spoon. Season with turmeric, salt and pepper.
Assemble your breakfast plate by arranging half of all the components on each plate: potato hash, roast tomatoes, sliced avocados, sautéed mushrooms. wilted spinach. tofu scramble and toast. Top with pepper, salt and sesame seeds. Serve hot.