This golden coconut apple oatmeal is inspired by golden milk, the popular, creamy drink made with turmeric. These oats are made with beautiful warming spices like cardamom, ginger, cinnamon and turmeric and simmered with apple, flax and coconut for a filling, satisfying and healthy breakfast. Enjoy as is or top with mango, banana, nuts or cacao nibs and a drizzle of coconut or almond milk. This recipe is vegan, sugar-free and gluten-free.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup water
- pinch of salt, optional
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 small apple, diced
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp each ground ginger, cinnamon and cardamom
Optional Topping Ideas
- walnuts, almonds or cashews
- chopped banana and/or mango
- almond butter
- cacao nibs
- a drizzle of coconut milk or almond milk
- Bring the water to a boil in a small sauce pan then add the rest of the ingredients and reduce to a light simmer. Add a bit more water or some coconut or almond milk if it seems to thick.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often then remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes before transferring to a bowl and adding any desired toppings.
- Start with 3/4 cup water and add a bit more if needed if it’s too thick, or you can stir in some almond or coconut milk once it’s cooked to adjust the consistency.
- I didn’t sweeten my oatmeal but if you’d like it a bit sweeter, I’d recommend stirring in 1 tbsp pure maple syrup or coconut sugar.
- If you’re missing one of the spices, not a problem. Just use what you have.