A restorative broth made with a plethora of vegetables to sooth, nourish and detoxify. Made with simple vegetable herb broth is delicious and so good for you. It’s definitely our go to for when we’re feeling under the weather. There are so many healthy benefits to each and every ingredient that we put into our cold busting broth, and when they all work together, you can best believe that you’re sipping on something that’s so good for you.
- 1 small to medium leek, sliced lengthwise and well cleaned (use white and light green parts)
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 cup winter squash (like butternut)
- ½ a small bunch bunch kale or chard (or a mixture of leafy greens), leaves only
- ½ cup fresh or ¼ cup dried shitake mushrooms (or a blend of mushrooms)
- 1 handful fresh flat leaf parsley
- 3 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 – 2 inch piece of fresh turmeric, peeled
- 1- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh sage
- 1 lemon cut in four pieces
- 2 tsp whole peppercorns
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil for serving – optional
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper – optional
- 3 quarts/12 cups filtered water
- Sea salt to taste
In a large pot, bring all of the ingredients to a boil and reduce the heat to simmer. Cook for at least 90 minutes in low heat.
Strain the broth into a large bowl or container with a fine mesh strainer. This will separate the solid ingredients from the broth.
FOR A STRAINED BROTH:
Strain liquid through a fine mesh strainer (set vegetables aside). Salt to taste. Let cool to room temperature before refrigerating or freezing.
FOR A VELVETY SOUP:
Place the strained vegetables and about 1 cup/240ml of broth together into a blender . Add a Tablespoon of olive oil and season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Blend on high until liquefied.
Store broth and soup up to a week in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze for up to three months.