Try our 3-ingredient sugar-free berry chia jam that’s super easy to make and really customisable! Ready to spread after 10 minutes or even quicker as a raw jam, this easy vegan recipe is both healthy, delicious and perfect for the summer.
- 1½ cups raspberries, fresh or frozen (6.5 oz, 185 g)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest (optional)
- Put the raspberries in a small saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally with a spoon until the berries are heated through and begin to break down.
- Using a fork, mash as much of the berries as you like to either create a more smooth or chunky chia jam.
- Stir in the chia seeds, vanilla extract and lemon zest until well-combined. Give it a quick taste test and if your berry chia jam is not sweet enough for your liking, add a spritz of maple syrup or some brown sugar (starting with 1-2 tsp).
- Remove the saucepan from heat and let your chia mixture cool for 5 minutes, then give it one final stir. This allows all chia seeds to absorb some of the berry liquid and turn into a nice gel over time.
- Transfer your homemade jam into a sealed container or glass jar and store in the fridge for up to 1 week. This berry chia jam can also be frozen for 3 months!
- You can also enjoy it immediately with some bread, use for baking or top your breakfast bowl with it!
- You can add some syrup (maple, agave, rice) or even apple juice for sweetening! Plain white, brown or coconut sugar work as well.
- Add some stevia drops or xylitol for sugar-free sweetening.
- Any berries, including blackberries, blueberries or strawberries as well as other juicy fruit work for this chia jam recipe.
Storage & serving suggestions
This berry chia jam can be stored in a lidded container or glass jar for about 1 week in the fridge. It can also be frozen for 3 months or longer!