After I made my first batch of almond milk, it was a no-brainer to never buy the packaged milks again. Firstly, the taste! Nothing compares! And secondly, how easy it is. With a good nut bag, it really is simple. Plus, my latest addiction is using the leftover almond “pulp” to bake with. I am coming up with some fantastic recipes for you! No waste!
Almond milk really is a staple in my home, and I will make 2-3 times a week. Smooth & creamy, you will not miss cows milk at all. If you wish it to be sweet – try the date option below for a slightly sweet version, or up the anti to 1/2 cup dates! You could also add a pinch of vanilla, cinnamon or nutmeg. Everything tastes delicious with this milk – tea, coffee, smoothies, oats, granola… warm or cold, it is the perfect dairy substitute and definitely a worthy replacement! Try it and tell me what you think. I know you will be happy to make the switch!
- 1 cup raw almonds (soaked over night in water, drained before use)
- 3 cups filtered water
- pinch sea salt (optional)
- 1-2 medjool dates (optional)
- Soak the almonds the night before you intend to make your milk. (If using dates, simply soak them in boiling water for 10+ mins prior to blend).
- Drain and rinse almonds just before use.
- In a high-powered blender, combine 1 cup soaked almonds (and dates, if using) with 3 cups filtered water, plus a pinch of sea salt.
- Blend on high for approx 45 seconds (depending on your blender), until thoroughly combined.
- Hold a nut bag/cheese cloth over a medium sized bowl. Pour half the blender contents through the bag/cloth, allowing the smooth milk to fall into the bowl.
- With your hands, squeeze the bag/cloth until all liquid has been strained through. There should be a leftover almond “pulp” in the bag. Set the pulp aside for use later, and repeat with the other half of the milk.
- When you are finished, rinse blender and pour milk in the bowl back into the blender (to help you transfer it to a glass bottle). Pour milk into a bottle and store in the fridge. Milk should last between 3-5 days.