Chia pudding. It has definitely received its fair share of attention in the health foodie world. Chia is packed with omega 3, fiber, protein, antioxidants and phytochemicals. Superfood status! The high amounts of dietary fibre helps with appetite control, bowel movements, and blood sugar levels, all of which can assist weight loss. Chia is also natures thickener! As a pudding, it is the perfect “healthified” sago pudding replacement. It’s surprising how little ingredients are required to form this glutenous texture, especially with no sugar. Chia pudding can be dressed up or down in so many ways: on-the-go breakfasts, hosting a brunch or even for dessert. You can’t go wrong! When you are looking for a filling, nutritious and delicious treat, chia pudding has you covered. It is easy to make and fun to turn into a creative build-your-own parfait by adding toppings like fresh fruit, dried fruit or granolas.
FOR THE CHIA PUDDING
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1 tsp stevia or maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean or 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- Raw granola
- Fresh fruit
- Shredded coconut
- Nuts and seeds
- Whisk the almond milk, chia seeds, sweetener and the vanilla together in a large bowl. Let sit for 5-10 minutes and then whisk again to prevent clumping.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for 2.5-3 hours or overnight. It helps to stir the mixture every so often during this time. Mixing is important since the seeds will fall to the bottom of the container, if not shaken or stirred every now and then it won’t thicken and set properly.
- Stir well before serving. Portion into bowl(s) and add your desired toppings. Leftovers will keep in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
The thickness of the chia pudding will vary based on the kind of almond milk you use, so don’t worry if it looks a bit thick or thin when you first try it out. If your pudding is too thin you can add more chia seeds and let it sit for 30 minutes more; if it’s too thick, try adding a touch more almond milk.
Serve Chilled and Enjoy